Re: Backup, what system files are *really* important?

On 03/11/2010 09:02 PM, Craig White wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-03-11 at 22:32 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

>> > ----
>> > what about /var ?
>> >
>> > /var/www/html
>> > /var/www/named
>> > /var/lib/dhcpd
>> > /var/lib/imap
>> > /var/cache/samba
>> >
>> > come immediately to my mind
>>
>> I don't run public services on my personal machine so much of that
>> doesn't matter to me. Plus anything with "cache" in its pathname is
>> excluded by my backup script as a matter of course.
>>
>> I do back up /var/log though. You never know.
> ----
> yeah but if it's a samba server... unfortunate that redhat packagers
> chose to use /var/cache/samba for important files

I backup /etc/samba/smb.conf (the only file there I've
modified.)  There are less than a dozen samba users here.
I have notes about how to add them using pdbedit.  Since
this was how I set up samba originally, I am assuming
that redoing the same process will produce the same
results including the stuff in var/cache/samba?
Am I missing something?

> also remembered...
>
> /var/lib/mysql
> /var/lib/pgsql
> (database users... not necessarily 'public' services)

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

Anything I explicitly touch I keep some form of record of to
allow me to recreate the change later (or at least that is
my intent.)  For example, config files in /etc, /var/lib/pgsql,
var/lib/named, etc are under revision control with the VCS
repository getting backuped.  The backup scripts dumps a
reloadable copy of my significant postgresql databases for
backup.  Changes made by gui I note in a notes file.

<minor rant> I really wish the docs for gui tools would
explicitly document what files they change.</minor rant>

So for things that I explicitly modify, I have a good record
(I hope) of how they have been changed.

I am mainly concerned with things like the rpm database
which get changed indirectly but which (as turned out in
my case) is very useful to have when there are problems
because it allowed checking the integrity of the rest
of the system.  (Of course, everything is useful under
some failure scenario but I don't want to back up every-
thing, so some discrimination needs to be applied.)