Re: Backup, what system files are *really* important?

On Fri, 2010-03-12 at 10:59 -0700, Stuart McGraw wrote:
> On 03/11/2010 09:02 PM, Craig White wrote:

> >> I don't run public services on my personal machine so much of that
> >> doesn't matter to me. Plus anything with "cache" in its pathname is
> >> excluded by my backup script as a matter of course.
> >>
> >> I do back up /var/log though. You never know.
> > ----
> > yeah but if it's a samba server... unfortunate that redhat packagers
> > chose to use /var/cache/samba for important files
>
> I backup /etc/samba/smb.conf (the only file there I've
> modified.)  There are less than a dozen samba users here.
> I have notes about how to add them using pdbedit.  Since
> this was how I set up samba originally, I am assuming
> that redoing the same process will produce the same
> results including the stuff in var/cache/samba?
> Am I missing something?
----
well it appears that they finally moved the contents of what used to be
in /var/cache/samba to /var/lib/samba (yeah) but the contents are all of
the internal tdb (trivial data base) files that samba uses for things
like policies created by pdbedit, share information, etc. If you are
running a samba server, you should be backing those up.

Craig

believed to be clean.