Backup, what system files are *really* important?

I currently backup user only my user files with the
understanding that if I lose important system files,
I will reinstall the system from distribution media.

Yesterday I had a little accident when I accidentally
deleted an unknown number of files in /var.  But
since the rpm database was still intact, I was able
to "rpm --verify" all my packages, identify those
with missing /var files and reinstall just those
rpms.

Which leads to my question...  Are there certain
files and directories that should be saved because
they are unusually important and can help recover
from common problems, without backing up *all* the
system files?  In my case above, having the rpm
database was critical.  I backup config files in
/etc and elsewhere that I've modified.  Are there
other *really* important system files I should be
saving?