Re: partition customization ....how do I ???

Paul wrote:
> Mike McCarty wrote:
>> If I wanted to do a custom partition install, I wouldn't run the
>> standard install disc, and then try to "break out" of it somehow,
>> and do something "behind the installer's back", and then resume the
>> install.
>>
>> I'd use a stand-alone rescue type CD-ROM to boot, partition the disc
>> as I saw fit, and only then boot to the installer, and give it the
>> information it needs in order to use the partitions I already created.
>>
>> Mike
>>
> I don't see why one would not use the standard install disc, without any

I would use the rescue CD-ROM since it doesn't automatically start
an installer, that's why. Almost any LiveCD will do, and the Fedora
one would do fine. The install CD-ROM wants to start installing,
and so I don't like that.

I don't like software getting between me and what I'm doing, and
trying to "guess" what to do. I've had problems with the Red Hat
installer putting labels on discs after I explicitly told it not to,
and I've had it clobber partition tables and render otherwise usable
multi boot machines unbootable to any operating system.

IME, the simpler a tool is, the more likely it is to get the job
done correctly, and the more complicated and involved it is, the
more likely it is to have defects. I've never had fdisk clobber
a partition table, and I have had the Red Hat installer do that.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.