Re: FLV4 video - which codec do I need? [SOLVED]

On 03/02/2010 02:49 AM, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> On Tuesday 02 March 2010 04:07:11 am john wendel wrote:
>> I've got an FLV4 encoded video that I'd like to watch. Mplayer says
>>
>>> [mkv] Track ID 1: video (V_MS/VFW/FOURCC), -vid 0
>>> [mkv] Track ID 2: audio (A_MPEG/L3), -aid 0, -alang jpn
>>> [mkv] Track ID 3: subtitles (S_TEXT/ASS), -sid 0, -slang eng
>>> [mkv] Will play video track 1.
>>> Matroska file format detected.
>>> VIDEO:  [FLV4]  640x368  0bpp  25.000 fps    0.0 kbps ( 0.0 kbyte/s)
>>> [vdpau] Error when calling vdp_device_create_x11: 1
>>> =========================================================================
>>> = Cannot find codec matching selected -vo and video format 0x34564C46.
>>> ========================================================================
>>> ==
>>
>> I downloaded and installed the "all" codec pack from the mplayer
>> website, didn't help.
>
> FLV4 is the Flash Video file format, apparently inside the Matroska (mkv) file
> container. You can read for example
>
>     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_Video
>     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matroska
>
> Flash video should be playable in general by mplayer, with the usual codec
> suite, nothing special. So if it doesn't work for you, there are two
> possibilities:
>
> 1) The file is broken. Are you able to play it elsewhere? On Windows? Where did
> you get it? Maybe the download was bad, can you check md5sum or similar?
>
> 2) Your mplayer configuration is broken somehow. Post the complete output of
> "mplayer -v insertfilename". The line
>
>>> = Cannot find codec matching selected -vo and video format 0x34564C46.
>
> is begging the question what video output driver do you use (do a
> "mplayer -vo help" to see all options available for you, see "man mplayer" and
> other docs to read about them). The usual driver is xv, and if that doesn't
> work for some reason, the usual second choice is x11. You can try to force
> mplayer to use one of them:
>
> mplayer -vo xv insertfilename
> mplayer -vo x11 insertfilename
>
> The video output driver of mplayer is usually determined by the capabilities
> of your graphics hardware. What card do you have ("lspci | grep vga")? What
> drivers do you use for it? Do you see anything suspicious while playing other
> movies with mplayer?
>
> HTH, :-)
> Marko

Fixed problem by editing mplayer "codecs.conf" file.  First I had to
download the mplayer sources to get a copy of the file. Then I added the
following

videocodec ffvp6f
   info "FFmpeg VP6 Flash"
   status working
   fourcc FLV4,VP6F
   driver ffmpeg
   dll "vp6f"
   out YV12

Actually, I just added the "FLV4" tag to the fourcc line.

It would be good if Fedora shipped a copy of the "codecs.conf" file.

Regards,

John