Re: partition customization ....how do I ???

On Wednesday 03 March 2010, Craig White wrote:
>On Wed, 2010-03-03 at 05:31 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> >before you actually start with disk druid in anaconda, you just switch
>> >to virtual console <Control><Alt><F2> and then run 'fdisk /dev/sda' and
>> >create your partitions in fdisk, switch back to anaconda
>> ><Control><Alt><F7> and then use the partitions you created in fdisk.
>> >
>> >Craig
>>
>> With all due respect Craig, the ctrl-alt-F2 to get another screen has yet
>> to give me a shell on that screen, _if_ it gives me a 2nd screen, which
>> 90% of the time doesn't happen, those key combos  are ignored by nash.
>> For the new bee, there simply does not exist any method to get around
>> fedoras use of a broken disk partitioning tool unless it has been fixed
>> _since_ F10.
>
>----
>Gene - easily reproduced... boot installation disc, proceed until you
>have GUI anaconda installer up and running. Switch virtual consoles as
>indicated. You don't have to install anything or overwrite anything or
>damage anything already installed to verify.
>
>Works 100% of the time. If it doesn't, you should file a bugzilla. I
>have installed RHEL, CentOS and Fedora on more than 1000 computers and
>have never not been able to switch consoles (<Control><Alt><F3/F4> give
>me standard and error out) so I use them routinely, especially when I am
>doing kickstart installs.
>
>Disk Druid is what it is - designed to maximize compatibility with a
>huge variety of installation scenarios that very much include dual
>booting DOS/Windows systems which is why it does things like it does.
>It's not broken, it just always satisfies needs that you apparently
>don't have. Hardly surprising. Nobody I know makes more configuration
>and operating changes to default installations with less understanding
>and weaker justification than you.
>
>Craig

As usual, Craig White cannot ever be wrong.  I had a wife like that, 25 years
ago.  When she left, I bought a 6 pack to celebrate.  My penance in hell was
over.

But I will state this real simply as a question: This machine, a slow 2.1Ghz
quad core phenom, with 4GB of dram, after rsync'ing the F10 32 bit install
from a DD configured drive, to one I configured, has remained much faster
than the DD configured install ever managed.  Using ccache, 12 to 14 minute
kernel compiles are now in the 3 to 5 minute range as one example.

So I ask, what miss-configuration that DD was in charge of on the original
install, could slow a machine down that badly?

Seems like a good enough question to deserve a factual answer.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Mouse has out-of-cheese-error