Re: partition customization ....how do I ???

On Wed, 2010-03-03 at 19:58 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:

> >> With all due respect Craig, the ctrl-alt-F2 to get another screen has yet
> >> to give me a shell on that screen, _if_ it gives me a 2nd screen, which
> >> 90% of the time doesn't happen, those key combos  are ignored by nash.
> >> For the new bee, there simply does not exist any method to get around
> >> fedoras use of a broken disk partitioning tool unless it has been fixed
> >> _since_ F10.
> >
> >----
> >Gene - easily reproduced... boot installation disc, proceed until you
> >have GUI anaconda installer up and running. Switch virtual consoles as
> >indicated. You don't have to install anything or overwrite anything or
> >damage anything already installed to verify.
> >
> >Works 100% of the time. If it doesn't, you should file a bugzilla. I
> >have installed RHEL, CentOS and Fedora on more than 1000 computers and
> >have never not been able to switch consoles (<Control><Alt><F3/F4> give
> >me standard and error out) so I use them routinely, especially when I am
> >doing kickstart installs.
> >
> >Disk Druid is what it is - designed to maximize compatibility with a
> >huge variety of installation scenarios that very much include dual
> >booting DOS/Windows systems which is why it does things like it does.
> >It's not broken, it just always satisfies needs that you apparently
> >don't have. Hardly surprising. Nobody I know makes more configuration
> >and operating changes to default installations with less understanding
> >and weaker justification than you.
> >
> >Craig
> >
> As usual, Craig White cannot ever be wrong.  I had a wife like that, 25 years
> ago.  When she left, I bought a 6 pack to celebrate.  My penance in hell was
> over.
>
> But I will state this real simply as a question: This machine, a slow 2.1Ghz
> quad core phenom, with 4GB of dram, after rsync'ing the F10 32 bit install
> from a DD configured drive, to one I configured, has remained much faster
> than the DD configured install ever managed.  Using ccache, 12 to 14 minute
> kernel compiles are now in the 3 to 5 minute range as one example.
>
> So I ask, what miss-configuration that DD was in charge of on the original
> install, could slow a machine down that badly?
>
> Seems like a good enough question to deserve a factual answer.
----
seems as though you are hell bent to deflect the conversation towards
some ex-wife that has no interest or bearing on the discussion
whatsoever. Maybe you bought a six pack but she probably has been much
happier since she left is my guess.

Even though I completely challenged your assertion that you can't get a
virtual console and gave you the step by step method whereby you can
actually verify whether you get a virtual console without doing any
damage to your existing setup, you want to discuss something else.

Well dude... since you can't possibly stay on topic and have
demonstrably proven that you lack the ability to limit the variables
that would undoubtedly impact the outcomes of pretty much everything you
do and always seem to be satisfied that your anecdotal experiences
actually mean something and prove something that only the most weird
circumstances could possibly repeat, why would I waste time speculating
on why things happen on your setups?

DD is just an overlay to fdisk and anything that DD does, is nothing
that anyone can't replicate by using fdisk manually prior to, or as
suggested to the OP upthread, simultaneous to the installation. I never
cease to be amused at your ability to posture that you actually
understand what you are doing. Feel free to bugzilla any problems you
run into.

Craig

believed to be clean.