Re: partition customization ....how do I ???

On Wednesday 03 March 2010, Craig White wrote:
>On Wed, 2010-03-03 at 11:43 +0530, Jatin K wrote:
>> >
>> > One answer:  Use a command line tool, like fdisk, that does exactly
>> > what you tell it to, rather than a GUI tool which works in the manner
>> > it thinks best.
>> >
>> > Over the last few years, I've let disk druid do its thing if I'm
>> > prepared to accept the automatic defaults, but (part way through
>> > running the install disc) I've usually swapped over to the command
>> > line, if I want to do something different.  And I'll set up the drive
>> > how I want it, then go back to the install routine, and just select the
>> > partitions I want the installer to use, without reformatting any of
>> > them.
>> >
>> > Particularly so for servers, where I've not only wanted a specific
>> > layout, but also wanted the reliability assurance of running a bad
>> > block test as well as the format.  When setting up a server, I'd rather
>> > spend the time doing integrity checks beforehand, than be surprised by
>> > something nasty much later on, when it's wrecked my work.
>> >
>> > I don't know why disc druid re-arranges the order of partitions, I
>> > could only guess that the author might think that certain things (boot,
>> > swap) are better at the start or middle of the drive, and arranges
>> > things to what they think are optimum.
>>
>> suppose one is doing RHCE exam    .... and question is to partition a
>> disk in said order what he/she should  do ???  if disk druid changes the
>> partition order automatically
>>
>> does partition ordering is serious matter for the RHCE exam ????
>> according to question swap partition should be on hda2 and / partition
>> should be on hda3 , what is can be done if disk druid changes the
>> partition order randomly ??
>>
>> if any RHCE is reading this list .....please explain the matter
>
>----
>before you actually start with disk druid in anaconda, you just switch
>to virtual console <Control><Alt><F2> and then run 'fdisk /dev/sda' and
>create your partitions in fdisk, switch back to anaconda
><Control><Alt><F7> and then use the partitions you created in fdisk.
>
>Craig

With all due respect Craig, the ctrl-alt-F2 to get another screen has yet to
give me a shell on that screen, _if_ it gives me a 2nd screen, which 90% of
the time doesn't happen, those key combos  are ignored by nash.  For the new
bee, there simply does not exist any method to get around fedoras use of a
broken disk partitioning tool unless it has been fixed _since_ F10.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

A violent man will die a violent death.