Re: Getting Fedora 12 to work with DVI Cable with Nvidia FX 5200 Card.

On 17 Feb 2010 at 8:30, Bruno Wolff III wrote:

Date sent:      	Wed, 17 Feb 2010 08:30:59 -0600
From:           	Bruno Wolff III <bruno@xxxxxxxx>
To:             	"Michael D. Setzer II" <mikes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Copies to:      	users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject:        	Re: Getting Fedora 12 to work with DVI Cable with Nvidia
FX 5200
	Card.

> On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 23:09:23 +1000,
>   "Michael D. Setzer II" <mikes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I've just gotten some AMD 64 FX ASUS machines with Nvidia FX 5200 video
> > cards. I got one machine a few days ago, and was able to get XP 32 and
> > Fedora 12 64 running on the machine using the existing CRT monitors I
> > have in the lab. These new machines have Flat Screen ACER monitors with
> > 21" screens, but all have the DVI cable verses VGA cables. The computers
> > with these screens come up to the Grub menu, but then it disappears after
> > graphic screen, but seems to have a blinking cursor. Tried the blacklising of
> > the noveau,  and then found a message about upgrading to a update testing
> > xorg server, but turns out the released version seems to be the latest.
> >
> > Anyone know of a method of getting this video card to work with DVI cable?
>
> I doubt it is using DVI cables directly causing the problem. I have seen
> issues for dual port cards falling back to the VGA port on the card because
> a monitor wasn't doing EDID and it thought there wasn't a monitor attached
> to the DVI port. But it's a pretty old monitor. Anything relatively recent
> should be doing proper EDID.

First, Thanks for the quick reply. The monitor has a 2005 Label on the front,
so I think they are old, but about a year newer than our current machines.
The monitor does come up with a no signal message with the DVI after the
boot gets further thru. The log file might show something, but don't know if
they is a way around what it might show. I did boot the machine with the DVI
cable and my G4L project and it works, but the quality seems to be much
lower than with the VGA.

With the noveau blacklisted, the bar bootup process was also a lower quality,
and then the no signal message would appear.

> You could look at Xorg.0.log and see what is being detected.

  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:mikes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  mailto:msetzerii@xxxxxxxxx
  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
  Guam - Where America's Day Begins

Number of Seti Units Returned:  19,471
(Total Hours: 287,489)

BOINC@HOME CREDITS
SETI      9,380,660.442912 | EINSTEIN  3,761,862.320851
ROSETTA   1,696,099.646022 | ABC         107,217.537710