Re: Getting Fedora 12 to work with DVI Cable with Nvidia FX 5200 Card.

On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 23:09:23 +1000,
  "Michael D. Setzer II" <mikes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I've just gotten some AMD 64 FX ASUS machines with Nvidia FX 5200 video
> cards. I got one machine a few days ago, and was able to get XP 32 and
> Fedora 12 64 running on the machine using the existing CRT monitors I
> have in the lab. These new machines have Flat Screen ACER monitors with
> 21" screens, but all have the DVI cable verses VGA cables. The computers
> with these screens come up to the Grub menu, but then it disappears after
> graphic screen, but seems to have a blinking cursor. Tried the blacklising of
> the noveau,  and then found a message about upgrading to a update testing
> xorg server, but turns out the released version seems to be the latest.
>
> Anyone know of a method of getting this video card to work with DVI cable?

I doubt it is using DVI cables directly causing the problem. I have seen
issues for dual port cards falling back to the VGA port on the card because
a monitor wasn't doing EDID and it thought there wasn't a monitor attached
to the DVI port. But it's a pretty old monitor. Anything relatively recent
should be doing proper EDID.

You could look at Xorg.0.log and see what is being detected.