Re: Moblin is dead, Fedora on netbooks?

Wow! i fired this email off when i got home last night and it stirred quite an exchange.

however, a bit of background  will show my reaction is not a knee-jerk  on my part,
just the culmination of a path turning sour.

i used to work for danger before M$ bought it out. i enjoyed the mobile sidekick platform
we provided despite its targeted youth market. its use for google/email on the go was Great!
this is what i must have in my truck.

when i later got laid off last spring, i decided to look for a way to use Linux in a similar portable
form factor. after some looking about, the hot setup seemed to be a netbook and moblin.

i chose moblin as i reasoned that backed by Intel  (motivated by atom sales) should be a solid
platform/open src steward to begin on. i selected a product direction of OBD to USB reasoning
there may be a few gearheads in the fedora crowd that should also enjoy a window to their
automotive computers.

the project kept me busy all summer while i looked for new work. however, i was less than
overwhelmed by the moblin desktop.

in a landscape precious screen, they dedicate 1/3 to twitter/social networking(waste),
1/3 to the last jpg's i've looked at (yawn), and a paltry 1/3 for my desktop with
icons & calendar space. 1/3 is not enough.

i really just want a mobile fedora; i have it at home & work, i use it, i like it.

as for meetoo, err, meego, its just another social centric os trying to compete with M$
products yet to be released. i hate a deployment that hides all the behind the scenes stuff i
want to know about.

moblin died for me because it failed to live up to my needs.

my next posts will focus on adapting fc11 to a small form factor.

thx again to all that reported using fc on the eeepc.

as for meego, you and the kids have fun, i got work to do.

--
    jack craig
       jackc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx