Re: Moblin is dead, Fedora on netbooks?

On Mon, 2010-02-15 at 18:39 -0800, jack craig wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I regret to report that Moblin, my hope for a mobile linux, is dead.

As someone alse already pointed out, Moblin is not dead.

What is happening is that Moblin (intel-based) and Maemo (Arm-based) are
merging to create MeeGo.

MeeGo is supposed to have common lower layers, and alternative UX (User
eXperience) layers. There will be UX layers for cell phones, tablets,
netbooks, stationary media phones, and whatnot.

MeeGo will use rpm as packaging mechanism. It will run X, have gtk
support, but main GUI SDK will be QT.

Given that it should support intel and arm and be based on rpm, is there
some way fedora and MeeGo could interact? Could a platform with Intel
and Nokia as sponsors cooperate with the huge Fedora community with
RedHat as sponsor? Could Fedora become a development platform for both?
It would certainly help defragment linux a bit.

MeeGo is set to become the biggest linux on mobile devices if Nokia mean
what they say: According to Ari Jaaksi, VP Nokia “We will put all our
force behind making MeeGo THE operating system” and “Nokia will ship
tons of MeeGo devices, Intel, too. And others will use MeeGo in their
devices. It is open, free, powerful and compatible.”

That said, I prefer running Fedora on my netbooks. I actually think
there is no problem at all running a full gnome on a netbook. I usually
remove the panels and install cairo-dock. I also make a few gui tweaks
that I am used to doing on older hardware (getting rid of gradients in
window borders and so on). Seriously, a netbook is more powerful than
what I used to run linux on just 1-2 years ago.

birger