Re: weird F12 printing problem

On 02/16/2010 09:10 AM, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-02-16 at 14:01 +1030, Tim wrote:
>> No, that's not how such network printers work.  They are their own
>> network device, their own print server.  They don't need to have a host
>> computer.
>>
> They don't have to but they should to avoid headaches.

Not really - you avoid one possible headache, but introduce another
one. If the network printer has a built-in print server, and I would
expect it to, it will easily handle being fed more then one job at a
time. Depending on the amount of memory it has, it may be able to
spool more then one job at a time. When you get into the larger
commercial printers, then can handle spooling many jobs at the same
time, with a different print queue for different paper trays, or
different types of paper.

Remember, most machines have a local print queue now days, and
adding another machine to act as a print server adds another failure
point and increases network traffic. This is one of those questions
that the answer is "It depends on your needs, and how you use your
network."

Mikkel