Re: abrt making no sense

On Sun, 2010-01-17 at 16:44 +0000, BeartoothHOS wrote:
	It alerts me, and shows a bug unreported. I tell it to report. It
churns through seventy downloads, or so it says.

It's getting debug information necessary for any developer to respond to your issue.

	When it thinks it's ready, I fill out its question as to what I
was doing, and tell it to go.

That's the most important part. Without you explaining what you were doing the developer will be very much in the dark on where to look. In essence, a developer wants to replicate your problem and your description is key to do that.

	One is called Bugzilla, with the rest in red, "Can't login. Check
Edit->Plugins->Bugzilla and /etc/abrt/plugins/Bugzilla.conf. Ser"

This means you have not registered with bugzilla. What's going on is, that abrt is creating a bug-report on your behalf. It will look for existing bugs and add your information to it if it finds it, or it will create a new issue if that's needed. But you need to be registered - and the very first time abrt ran, you were asked for your credentials. You need to goto buzilla.redhat.com and register for an account. Add that to the abrt preferences, and go back and resend your information, so YOUR PROBLEM can become a task for a developer.

	The other is called Logger, and reads "file:///var/log/abrt-
logger"

That's where it stored the information it wants to send to buzilla and it's also where it stores the error it received from bugzilla. Look in the file and see if it doesn't tell you more details about why it cannot login.

	The first seems to expect me to read its mind, perhaps by going
to the redhat bugzilla site and hitting Edit. I go, I login, and there is
no Edit -- nor anything else I can find that makes any sense.

https://bugzilla.redhat.com
It's a database front-end. You can run "reports" where you search for existing reports, or see/manage the reports you've created. You can actually do quite a bit, but you need to either create a bug or work on an existing one. Bugzilla does take a while to get used to though - no arguing there.

	I do edit /etc/abrt/plugins/Bugzilla.conf (That "Ser" makes no
sense.) I give it my login and password. Next time abrt runs, I get the
same error again.

If you open abrt (Automatic Bug Report Tool - see it in your "System Tools" menu and choose plugins, then find "bugzilla" and hit configure, you may find it easier to manage. Make sure case and username are spelled exactly the same. And make sure it's the same address (as above) that is used by bugzilla.

	Seems to me abrt needs a technical writer who knows English.
Badly.

I'm sure the project would appreciate your help; ABRT is an application like any others; use bugzilla to suggest your language changes.

--
Best Regards
  Peter Larsen

Wise words of the day:
A possum must be himself, and being himself he is honest.
		-- Walt Kelly