Help with Microsoft 4000 keyboard Zoom key?

I have just replaced my ailing Microsoft Natural Elite keyboard which has
surprisingly served me well for about 11 years.. I've replaced it with the
(wired) Microsoft Natural 4000 which all is working fine on except for the
Zoom slider. It'd be handy to be able to map it somehow and so far no luck.
There is also the Microsoft 7000 which is a wireless keyboard which appears to
have the same slider key. It just creates repeated events when held up or
down, nothing really special.

xev does not pick up inputs from it at all, however the program showkey does:

# press up
keycode 418 press
keycode 418 release
# press down
keycode 419 press
keycode 419 release

BTW, as long as I hold the key, it repeats 418/419 press.

I've tried xbindkeys per some results on google, but it won't map anything
>255. I keep reading about "keytouch" but not quite sure how to use it and
seems a bit kludgy, but if that's the best solution I can try it again.

I've been googling and can't find anything that seems to help so far, any help
would be appreciated!

--
Walter Francis

khayts.us