suggested DVD editing toolset?

Hi All;

I'm sad to find that all of the companies that set out to provide modified
copies of DVD movies with the token hollywood crap removed and the language
cleaned up have all been sued into oblivion by hollywood.

So, I'd like to to modify my own DVD's and watch the cleaned up copies.
However I'm totally oblivious to even the slightest details about this area of
computing (I'm a database guy). So, Im looking for suggestions per user
friendly oss tools to pull this off and possibly info/web sites that will
explain more about how to do this.

Thanks in advance