Re: FC12 Clean Install - No Sound

On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 15:58:38 +0000
Tim and Alison Bentley <Home@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have had to do a clean install of FC12.
> Whilst most things are working fine I have no sound at all.  I had
> sound on F11 but with F12 nothing.
> I am running KDE but installed from the DVD image.
>
> The sound card is on the motherboard which is a Gigabyte P31.
>
> Any thoughts or pointers would be appreciated.

You don't indicate your level of expertise.  If you are at all familiar
with a command line, you should bring one up in either a term or
console and run the command    aplay -l  .  This will immediately
indicate whether the sound device was recognized by alsa.

Because you had sound previously, it is very likely that it will be.
Your symptoms sound like you have a volume turned down.  If the above
command gave you a sound device, in the same terminal run the command
alsamixer   .  If it comes up with a single adjustment bar, your device
is being controlled by pulseaudio (the default).  Make sure the volume
is turned up (ESC exits).  Then make sure you have the package
pavucontrol installed.  I don't run KDE, so don't know where it is in
the KDE menus.  Look around in likely places for pulseaudio volume
control. Once you find it, configure your sound device to the mode of
operation you want it to have.  This should give you sound.

There are a lot of other twists and turns this could take that I
haven't mentioned.  If you end up on one of them, post back.