Re: Gnome or KDE - why not ask?

> On Sat, 2009-10-10 at 21:01 -0400, David wrote:
>> The applications have to be written in 'something'. These happen to be
>> written in GTK. And my point was that that does not make Fedora a
>> GNOME distribution. It appears to me that Fedora *chooses* to be a
>> GNOME Desktop default distro.
>
> Well, the only thing the *have* to be written in is "something that
> exposes the Linux API", (recalling that we're talking about system apps
> here). The API defines the lowest common denominator, anything else is
> an optional extra. However that's beside the point.
>
> I was trying to argue that Fedora is a Gnome distro based on such
> considerations, but taking into account both your own and Rahul's (and
> Marc's) comments I can see that this argument as such doesn't hold up.
>
> Nevertheless, it remains true that Fedora is a Gnome-based distro! Why?
> Because it's all over the documentation. I doubt you'll find the phrase
> "Fedora is a Gnome-based distro" anywhere in the docs, but the fact
> remains that at every juncture where a DE is relevant to a system
> administration function, it's assumed to be Gnome unless a specific
> exception is made for KDE. This assumption permeates the entire Fedora
> ecosystem. Once again, I'm not questioning that this should be so, I'm
> simply stating it as a fact of life.
>
>> As for your personal feeling about GNOME? Your business. Your choice.
>
> I'm aware of that. I didn't bring it up.

So your point is that Fedora is a a GNOME *based* distribution taken
from the Docs? I would imagine that the 'GNOME thing' you see is a
result of the Doc author being familiar with GNOME and not KDE. On the
help list I often see someone ask for help and get it only to find out
that the first user does not use the same desktop as the second. I am
sure that Fedora would be more than happy if you volunteered to write
these directions from a KDE point of view. You could ask.

A source of help with this could be here.

Welcome to KDE UserBase

http://userbase.kde.org/

--

  David