Re: Gnome or KDE - why not ask?

On Sat, 2009-10-10 at 14:34 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Joshua C. wrote:
>
> > The installation process guides you through some basic points (like
> > grub, partitioning, basic packages).
>
> While I am at it, I think the partitioning options are badly put, too.
> The first option should be to use the current partitions, in my view.
> The second should be to set up partitions as one wants.

I kind of agree. I must have installed every Fedora system since FC1 and
every single time I get to this question (or the equivalent in earlier
versions) I have doubts about how to proceed. I almost always want to
keep my existing partition scheme and just install (not update) the new
Fedora version on /, preserving /home untouched, but the dialogue
doesn't make it easy to understand how to do this. It would reduce
installation anxiety considerably if Anaconda told me the exact
consequences of each option before asking me to confirm, but for some
reason every time I get to this point I find myself wondering "what does
this *really* mean?".

Maybe I'm just paranoid.

> I suspect that most people who have installed Fedora before
> know that it is best to avoid the crazy system suggested by Anaconda.
>
> > Most distributions nowadays ship
> > with both kde and gnome. By default fedora installs gnome and I think
> > every user who wants to try it should know this. It's not about being
> > clever or not. The PackageKit then gives you the ability to install
> > and set kde.
>
> I'm not sure what this means.
> It is more or less impossible to replace Gnome by KDE after installation,
> in my experience.

Strictly speaking it *is* impossible to install Fedora without at least
part of Gnome. Installing both and choosing one or the other is not
difficult. Installing from a KDE-focussed download isn't hard either and
is usually what I do.

> I'm afraid that I suspect a political or philosophical motive at work here.
> Redhat/Anaconda have a sort of vestigial loyalty to Gnome,
> and don't want the alternative to be too visible.

There's nothing vestigial about it. Fedora is upfront about being a
Gnome distro which also supports KDE. For example the upcoming DeviceKit
stuff mentions Gnome components in the same breath as the kernel. This
is common in Fedora docs. I gripe about it from time to time but I doubt
anything can be done about it at present. The current state of free
desktop architectures doesn't seem to allow neutrality.

poc