Re: Music Appreciation teaching program ??

On Tue, 2009-09-22 at 00:12 +0930, Tim wrote:
> If I were playing it, I could probably tell you what key it was in,
> because I'd know what notes and chords I'd been playing, and would
> know
> what key those notes fitted into.  "Probably" in that my training was
> as
> intense as those with real formal training, and much shorter in
> duration.  So I could easily pick something in C, but the keys in
> something like E flat minor, for instance, aren't something I'm that
> very familiar with.  That's something where more training would help
> more than just personal skill levels.
----
just a little anecdotal story. I was playing a pretty cool arrangement
that I did for Genesis "Misunderstanding" on my acoustic guitar for my
friend Everett. He is a professional musician (keyboards) and has toured
with artists like Ian Hunter.

Anyway, Everett told me that the A-flat-maj-7 needed a B-flat bass root
and I was shocked...he could just name the note that I needed even
though he did not know how to play the song...he is that musically
aware. I don't know if he had any classical training but he is such a
good musician that even his playing guitar sounds better than me playing
and he is not a guitar player. This clearly is talent (and obviously
perfect pitch).

Craig

believed to be clean.