Re: Music Appreciation teaching program ??

On Sun, 2009-09-20 at 12:36 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> seriously, there are all sorts of trained and untrained musicians but
> whether a musician has knowledge or education in classical music is
> not necessarily important. The Beatles never knew how to read music.

Just imagine how much better they could have been!  ;-)  Sorry, couldn't
resist.

Yes, there's a lot of talented people without formal training.  But I
tend to be more impressed by those with it.  And they're certainly more
able to work with other trained musicians, as they know how tell each
other what needs doing.  "More, um, thingy," doesn't work too well.

> But I find it hard to believe that anyone actually doesn't like
> classical music if they like other forms of music. It is truly
> universal.

Many do, without realising it, as it's used all over the place
(cartoons, commercials, etc.).  Though I've had many a good piece of
music ruined for me, now, as I cannot avoid seeing Bugs Bunny and Elmer
Fudd in my mind's eye while hearing the piece.

Some are actively prejudiced against it.  A friend's teenage son was
trawling through the ring tones on his phone, commenting on ones he
liked and disliked.  He liked quite a few classical ones, but the moment
I enlightened him, he deleted them.  I caught him singing some music
from a couple of operas, once or twice, but he had no idea.  He'd heard
them on TV somewhere, but no clue as to what they really were.

Others will never get to hear it, because of the prejudices of those
around them who will pick the music that's heard.  They moment they hear
it, they turn off or go away.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686