Re: Music Appreciation teaching program ??

Tim:
>> You started off with a question that sounded like it was to do with
>> listening to music (to which my best suggestion would be an old
>> fashioned radio station with a "Keys to music" style of program),

William Case:
> I have never heard of a "keys to music" style of program.  Where would
> I find one?

That was the title to a program on our (Australian) ABC, Classic FM
station:  http://www.abc.net.au/classic/keys/  Though classical music
isn't always to the taste of everybody, but the principles behind it are
the underpinning of all other music types, as well.  And it's amusing,
at times, to find out how some hard core rock artist has some very
formal classical training in their past.

In this day and age of world-wide internet radio, there must be others,
and one's covering the styles of music that interests you.

I, too, like to know a bit more about what I'm listening to,
particularly the unfamiliar stuff.  Some of the interview shows are good
for that, where a composer, conductor, musician, etc., talks about their
art, rather than themselves.

>> but you end with what seems like a question related to playing music,
>> yourself.  You might want to clarify your wants

> The very thought of me trying to learn to play music would frighten my
> friends and neighbours and send the dog running from the house in
> sheer panic.

You couldn't possibly be any worse than what passes for so-called
"popular" music, these days...

> No, what I was looking for was something in the way of music
> appreciation. I was trying to indicate I wanted something that would
> let me hear what different musical terms meant as well as offer an
> introduction to different kinds of music.

To me, the term "music appreciation" always conjures up an image of
long-haired amateur music critiques, professing to be fans, but behaving
otherwise...  ;-)  Haughtily condemning the performance of something
over some trivial point, using jargon they've heard, but don't
understand, and couldn't possibly do themselves.  ;-)  Though, at its
most basic level, the term just means music lover.

I am, amongst other things, also a musician.  I don't compose, though, I
just play.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686