Re: Music Appreciation teaching program ??

Tim:
>> Yes, there's a lot of talented people without formal training.  But I
>> tend to be more impressed by those with it.  And they're certainly more
>> able to work with other trained musicians, as they know how tell each
>> other what needs doing.  "More, um, thingy," doesn't work too well.

Les:
> So ones exposure to or non-exposure may reduce the acceptance of
> professionals, and minimize their earning potential, but the greater
> loser is society at large when preconceptions, such as the one against
> classical music or the one you espouse against those with little or no
> formal training are allowed to restrict the availability of those
> talents to the world (and the corrollary of poor performance as a
> comparison standard.)

If you're critiquing my above bit, about it's better when you do have
the training, do recall that I said I am a musician.  It is much easier
to work with other musos when you all know the trade.  While the self
taught can be amazing, they're rather hamstrung by what they don't know.
My training was not the in-depth type, so I tend to straddle the fence.
People will talk about something that I don't know what they want to do,
without having to do an awful lot of explaining.  And that's the bit
that I mean is a real disadvantage.

The same goes for many other skills.  I work in video production, and
it's very easy to work with the skilled/seasoned professional.  It's
next to impossible to work with some youngsters who think they've
figured it out for themselves, when they really haven't.  They've only
figured out one pointy bit of the tree branch.

On the other hand, if you're commenting on my much earlier comment
(about highly disparaging amateur music critiques), then "hear hear!"

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.