Re: F11: NetworkManager woes

On 09/16/2009 07:48 AM, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 10:41:57 +0100,
   Timothy Murphy<gayleard@xxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
How exactly do you put DNS in?
Something like:
DNS1=65.117.131.167

If you do that when that interface is active the IP address of the DNS
server should get added to /etc/resolv.conf by NM.

Right. Here are a couple of examples that I probably should have put in my original reply:

NM_CONTROLLED=no

This tells Network Manager to leave this interface alone.

NM_CONTROLLED=yes

OK, you can mess with it.

DNS1=65.117.131.167

That is correct, but let me point out the '1'

Therefore:

DNS1=65.117.131.168
DNS2=65.117.131.167
DNS3=65.117.131.166
SEARCH=foo.com

can be added.

So with the combination of the above, this is a valid, 'don't mess with this after its up' ifcfg-eth0 file that will do everything needful.

DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=none
HWADDR=00:X5:f2:c9:X2:64
ONBOOT=yes
DHCP_HOSTNAME=eragon
IPADDR=10.1.10.9
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
GATEWAY=10.1.10.1
TYPE=Ethernet
USERCTL=no
IPV6INIT=no
PEERDNS=none
DNS1=10.1.10.1
DNS2=65.117.131.168
DNS3=65.117.131.166
SEARCH=foo.com
NM_CONTROLLED=yes

If you always use eth0 the same way, NM will do the right thing with this type of config.

There is additional syntax available as well, and that is why I suggested the 'new' Network Device Control' application.  You can fuss with that and look at the results in the config file[s].

Good luck!