Re: How Fedora chose me

On Wednesday 16 September 2009 01:25 AM, davide wrote:
On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 9:23 AM, Suvayu Ali<fatkasuvayu+linux@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

Wanted to remind of some counter examples,
* Xubuntu 9.04 @ work:
        Firefox 3.0
        Thunderbird 2.0
        Pidgin 2.5.5 (supports only IMs)
        Emacs 22.2
* Fedora 11 @ home:
        Firefox 3.5.3
        Thunderbird 3.0b3
        Pidgin 2.6.2 (with audio/video support)
        Emacs 23.1

I find it very inconvenient to use the latest version of most apps on
Ubuntu. You either have to use some buggy package from universe or use a PPA
package.

PS: A (not-so-expert) friend recently switched to F11 just to use the latest
pidgin :-p

I'm not here to bash Fedora. I like it.
But I would add that Ubuntu ships Firefox 3.5 too, named Shiretoko to
avoid conflicts and I-dont-know-whatelse.
I would remind also that Fedora was released two months after the
ubuntu stable release.

I have used shiretoko, but it has minor issues. For example I can't use the mplayer plugin with it, various websites refuse to recognize it as firefox. All minor, but issues nonetheless.

--
Suvayu