Re: Automatic page numbering in OpenOffice

Hi;

On Mon, 2009-09-14 at 07:26 +0500, gilpel@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Tim wrote:
>

> I was referring to the following message from William Case. that I had
> completely misunderstood:
>

> You can set it up as a page style in Styles and Formats; (...) ; or, add
> the page style as part of template options; or, just change the template
> directly; or create a macro.
>
> There are several ways to number pages.  Pick whichever is most
> convenient to you.
>
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2009-September/msg00833.html
>
> ===========================
>
> >From this I had wrongly gathered that there was a possibilility to set
> page numbering permanently in Format => Styles as "or, add the page style
> as part of template options" only seemed like an option.
>
> Mr Case was certainly much clearer in his previous message in the same
> thread.

gpelil, I was trying to tell you that there really are several ways to
set up page numbering.  I wasn't saying RTFM in this case.  The option
that you might want to use depends on personal choice and work habits
and the nature of the writing project.  By reading the manuals you can
get a much clearer view of just what is possible.

Option one:
In Format => Styles (F11) you can create and name a page style that has
page numbering fields where and how you want them -- at the top of the
page, in a header or in a footer.  When you first open a new document
simply Insert => Fields = Page Number and Insert => Fields = Page Count
and any text.  The disadvantage is that without making a template you
have to manually insert your start page number and any text.  If you use
a header or footer, however, you only have to do it once.

The Advantage is you can create several styles depending on the type of
document you use.  For me, I have at least 4 styles a) FirstPage witn no
page numbering; b) A Preface style which numbers pages in small roman
numerals c) body style with normal page numbering, and d) a chapter
style for long documents.  You can add more page styles as you need
them.  Having made all these styles saves me from having to create
several document templates and from having to decide before I type a
word what kind of document I am going to write.  I can easily change my
mind to expand the document.

Option two:
Having created various page styles, you can save your current document
with or without content as a template - E.g. 'Publish_Doc.ott'.  When
you open the default template none of your custom page styles will show,
but if you open the 'Publish_Doc' template your page styles will be
available.

Option three:
Set up your first page exactly as you want it, content and all, and save
that as a template.  That will give you exactly the page numbering as
you outlined in your original post.  However, you will have limited
flexibility and if you want to change anything you are back at square
one -- as if you had opened the default template.

Option four:

Four is a whole new exercise in learning.  Write a macro to insert the
page numbering where and how you design it.

Besides the online help check out

http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/userguide3/index.html

and there has been lots of discussion regarding page numbering in the
OOo users archive.

http://www.openoffice.org/servlets/SummarizeList?listName=users

It doesn't take long to master styles or templates in OOo.  They are an
invaluable tool.  I have to use M$ Word from time to time as well.  In
comparison, page numbering in Word is a real PIA.

--
Regards Bill
Fedora 11, Gnome 2.26.3