Re: F11: UTF-8 Locale issue

On 09-09-13 22:49:06, Ed Greshko wrote:
> Daniel B. Thurman wrote:

> > I already said that when I first started system.config.language
> > that the "default" was set to Afrikaan or at least this item was
> > highlighted, assumed that this "default" is wrong and proceeded to
> > change this item to: "English (USA)", and closed the program.

That suggests that system-config-language could not find any default.

> > ... I compared F9 & F11 /etc/sysconfig/i18n as follows:
> >
> > In F9: LANG="en_US.utf8" SYSFONT="latarcyrheb-sun16"
> >
> > In F11: # LANG=C considerably speeds up boot (measured 5sec) --
> > bernie LANG="en_US.UTF-8" SYSFONT="latarcyrheb-sun16"
> >
> > They are pretty much same except for that weird commented out
> > LANG=C line, for which I never put there.
> >
> > It is possible that the system log message is not a "locale" issue
> > and points to something else, I dunno...

> But, I would probably delete that commented out line from
> /etc/sysconfig/i18n just to make sure something weird isn't going on
> with that line. If you didn't put it there...it begs the
> question "who did"? Who is bernie?

I think that the "commented out line" should be made like the one from
F9, as currently no default LANG is being set.  I could imagine such a
thing having come from Rawhide at one time.  Check for any .rpmnew
files like /etc/sysconfig/i18n.rpmnew.