Re: F11: No longer getting auto-mounted drive partitions to /media?

On Wed, 2009-08-26 at 12:06 +0930, Tim wrote:
> Tim:
> >> Have we got a pain free method of relabelling Windows file systems,
> >> yet?
>
> Rick Stevens:
> > Uhm, "man mlabel"?
>
> Doesn't qualify as "pain free."
>
> You've got to assign a Windows drive letter to the device, first, before
> you can use mlabel with it.  And that's made even more complicated if
> you have multiple removable devices.  Not to mention that mlabel, nor
> its man file, nor the mtools man file, tell you how to assign a drive
> letter.  The only clues seem to be in the /etc/mtools.conf file.
>
> Pain free means as simple as renaming a file or directory, just like
> Windows lets you.  Pop in the device, e.g. my camera's SD card,
> right-click the icon that appears for it, and rename it.
>
> Not, insert device, plough through dmesg or /var/log/messages to find
> the device it's recognised as, at this moment in time, then add some
> unexplained configuration rule to assign a drive letter to it, then use
> mlabel.
>
> Oddly enough, I can't find mlabel through yum.  I'm sure I remember
> being able to do yum install mlabel (or any other command I wanted to
> install), in the past, and yum would find the package that held it for
> me.  I had to work out it was in the mtools package, some other way.
>
> The only other way I see to label a Microsoft formatted media seems to
> be to reformat it, and that's a stupid thing to have to do.  I'm
> certainly not going to reformat the memory cards for my camera on the
> computer, even if they were empty (which they're not).
>
> So, no, mlabel doesn't come even remotely close to pain free.
>
> --
> [tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
> 2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686
>
> Don't send private replies to my address, the mailbox is ignored.  I
> read messages from the public lists.

I used gparted/F11 recently to format and label NTFS partitions on an
external USB disk that is normally connected to a 32bit Vista laptop.

No known problems - My neighbour is still speaking to me!

"Something" also auto-mounts the two partitions under F11/XFCE when it
is plugged in to my machine.

John