Re: Removing one drive from a RAID 1 setup?

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 16:42:39 +1000,
  Philip Rhoades <phil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Bruno,
>

> On 2009-08-26 16:22, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
>> On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 16:16:33 +1000,
>>    Philip Rhoades<phil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
>>> If I remove this drive, is it straightforward to continue using the
>>> remaining drive (sdd) with it's normal ext3 partition and the data still
>>> intact?
>>
>> It might mess up grub. But otherwise it should work.
>

> Why would it mess up grub? - I thought I would just need to edit
> /etc/fstab . .

Because grub might not be saved on both MBRs. Because removing one disk
might rename the other and depending on how you have grub pointing to
the conf file this could break as well (though is less likely).
Grub doesn't actually see the raid array, it uses the filesystem in
read only mode (which works because the raid info is at the end of the
partition). So there can be issues with pulling drives out of the array.