Re: F11: No longer getting auto-mounted drive partitions to /media?

Tim:
>> Have we got a pain free method of relabelling Windows file systems,
>> yet?

Rick Stevens:
> Uhm, "man mlabel"?

Doesn't qualify as "pain free."

You've got to assign a Windows drive letter to the device, first, before
you can use mlabel with it.  And that's made even more complicated if
you have multiple removable devices.  Not to mention that mlabel, nor
its man file, nor the mtools man file, tell you how to assign a drive
letter.  The only clues seem to be in the /etc/mtools.conf file.

Pain free means as simple as renaming a file or directory, just like
Windows lets you.  Pop in the device, e.g. my camera's SD card,
right-click the icon that appears for it, and rename it.

Not, insert device, plough through dmesg or /var/log/messages to find
the device it's recognised as, at this moment in time, then add some
unexplained configuration rule to assign a drive letter to it, then use
mlabel.

Oddly enough, I can't find mlabel through yum.  I'm sure I remember
being able to do yum install mlabel (or any other command I wanted to
install), in the past, and yum would find the package that held it for
me.  I had to work out it was in the mtools package, some other way.

The only other way I see to label a Microsoft formatted media seems to
be to reformat it, and that's a stupid thing to have to do.  I'm
certainly not going to reformat the memory cards for my camera on the
computer, even if they were empty (which they're not).

So, no, mlabel doesn't come even remotely close to pain free.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.