Re: FC11 - flash plugin for Firefox

On 2009-08-23, Markus Kesaromous <remotestar@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Well, I am no longer runing 64 bit kernel. Since I migrated to F11, I am
> using the 32 bit kernel.

Ah--I did see that, earlier, sorry.  The other comment about 64-bit
threw me off.

> Also, I did have to resort to the Adobe version 10 flash plugin.
> AFA cpu load, it seems to have the lowest load: 70% of cpu while
> a video is playing. As I said in my first post, the trouble with the
> Adobe flash 10 is this: if I play a video, and after it finishes, I do not
> close the window. I switch to other tabs or other tasks. If I come
> back and try to play any other video, or even if I try to replay
> the same video, I get totally stuttetered sound and then a repetitive
> echo of some unitelligible sound.  Does adobe even know about this problem?

I haven't had quite that level of problems--with Adobe 64-bit Flash, I
have no major complaints.  Full-screen video is slow, but I'm not sure
whether Adobe or my Intel GPU is to blame for that.

> I wonder if any graphics chips will provide a flash decoder so that
> all the host has to do is send the flash stream directly to the graphics
> controller.

While truly *awesome*, I don't think it will happen.  I imagine it
would be much, much cheaper and easier for Adobe to fund a couple more
programmers on the Linux Flash port, than for anybody to commission a
dedicated HW design and incorporate it into GPUs.  Adobe underfunds
Linux development because of a perceived lack of desktop market
share--they don't see enough Linux users to justify the costs.  If
Linux market share ever grows big enough, Adobe's cheapest option will
just be to improve the Linux port.

I don't think 3rd parties could build/sell the hardware, either--Adobe
seems to have shut down F/OSS Flash 10 implementations (Patents? I
don't actually know.).  Whatever the cause, though, I think the same
cost-evaluation logic applies to 3rd parties:  If you could get
permission/exemption to implement Flash 10, wouldn't it be cheaper
just to improve Adobe's Linux software port, or write your own, rather
than design chips?

But I could be wrong about the comparative design costs--this is just
my wild speculation.

-R