Re: Two USB ports dissappeared...

> Steven P. Ulrick wrote:
> > Hello Everyone
> > 	I am running a Fedora 11 system based on the Supermicro SuperWorkstation
> > 5046AXB.  It has approximately 10-12 USB ports, with two on the front of the
> > machine that are very handy for my camera and card reader.  Unfortunately,
those
> > two ports in front seem to have disappeared as far as Fedora is concerned.
> > can plug my card reader into a port in the back and it automounts right
away.
> > But plugging anything into the front two ports does nothing.  Nothing in
> > /var/log/messages, nothing...  Just to be sure I unplugged the cable that
those
> > two ports are connected to and plugged it back into the motherboard.  Still
> > nothing.  My bios is set to support 12 USB ports.
> > Thank you in advance for anything you can do to help me :)
> >
> > Steven P. Ulrick
> >
> Dumb question - can you plug in something like a USB light and see
> if it powers up?
I'll have to try getting something like that.

> It does sound like a hardware problem. If it does
> not, check if you plugged in the connector on the motherboard 1 row
> down from where it should be. With some motherboards it is almost
> impossible to see the pins because the plug blocks your line of site.
That would not account for the fact that I have to try to figure this out to
beging with.  So I might have put it back in the wrong place, but everything
used to just work correctly when it was plugged in the place that it "was
before."

> If possible, try plugging the cable into another connector as well.
> With 12 USB ports, I am guessing you have more then one header.
I will be very happy to try that later.  You'd think with support for six sticks
of RAM of up to 4gigs each, the possibility of six SATA hard drives and two
onboard network connectors that I would probably have another place to plug the
two front USB ports into...

Thank you for your help so far,
Steven P. Ulrick

P.S.: Is the wrapping on the message I sent messed up?  If it is I'd like to
know so I can fix it somehow.  I am using the KMail component inside of Kontact
that is the current version in Fedora 11.