Re: Two USB ports dissappeared...

Steven P. Ulrick wrote:
>> Dumb question - can you plug in something like a USB light and see
>> if it powers up?
> I'll have to try getting something like that.
>
>> It does sound like a hardware problem. If it does
>> not, check if you plugged in the connector on the motherboard 1 row
>> down from where it should be. With some motherboards it is almost
>> impossible to see the pins because the plug blocks your line of site.

> That would not account for the fact that I have to try to figure this out to
> beging with.  So I might have put it back in the wrong place, but everything
> used to just work correctly when it was plugged in the place that it "was
> before."

It could be that when you installed the DVD drive, you could have
snagged the cable, or if you have one of the cases that requires you
to remove the front to install a drive, it could have happened then.
Also, I thought of one other thing to test - does the cable also
plug into the front of the case? If so that may be partly disconnected.

You should also check you manual, and see if there are jumpers to
select the power source for the USB ports. It is not unusual for
there to be an option to use 2 different 5v sources - one that is
always on, and one that is only one when the system is awake. This
is to allow things like USB keyboards to wake the system up.

I know things are not supposed to just stop working. But if it were
a software problem, I would it to affect all the USB ports, or show
the same problem regardless of the port you plug into. Usually,
there is one root hub for each pair or each 2 pair of USB ports, so
it is possible to lose some ports without loosing all the USB ports.

>> If possible, try plugging the cable into another connector as well.
>> With 12 USB ports, I am guessing you have more then one header.
> I will be very happy to try that later.  You'd think with support for six sticks
> of RAM of up to 4gigs each, the possibility of six SATA hard drives and two
> onboard network connectors that I would probably have another place to plug the
> two front USB ports into...

I like

> Thank you for your help so far,
> Steven P. Ulrick
>
> P.S.: Is the wrapping on the message I sent messed up?  If it is I'd like to
> know so I can fix it somehow.  I am using the KMail component inside of Kontact
> that is the current version in Fedora 11.

Only with the quoting. That always happens when you get a couple
levels of quotes.

Mikkel

However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.