Re: [F11] sound mutes at 50%

On 09-08-05 06:40:53, Zacharie Elcor wrote:
> hi,
>
> I have a sound problem since I installed F11 : if I lower volume
> below 50%, no more sound (and 50% is too high).  I tried gnome-
> volume-control, pavucontrol, alsamixer and they all have the same
> behavior.

This is how PA volume controls work, and appears to be By Design.  They
have a logorythmic scale with about 100 dB range.  A mouse hover over
the closed volume control may show the attenuation.  I think they are
all intended to be left at or near maximum, and you are expected to
control the actual volume with some other volume knob, say on your
external amplifier.  This is problematic for those who aren't using an
external amplifier, but that isn't PA's target audience.