Re: [F11] sound mutes at 50%

Zacharie Elcor:
>> I have a sound problem since I installed F11 : if I lower volume
>> below 50%, no more sound (and 50% is too high).  I tried gnome-
>> volume-control, pavucontrol, alsamixer and they all have the same
>> behavior.

A fault somewhere...

Tony Nelson:
> This is how PA volume controls work, and appears to be By Design.  They
> have a logorythmic scale with about 100 dB range.

Not on prior Fedora release versions, at least, the control gives useful
audio control over the full range of the slider.  Doing it in a log
function gives you a more natural feel to the control, rather than most
of the range of the control having little effect, then the rest of the
control being very touchy (linear level controls).

> I think they are all intended to be left at or near maximum, and you
> are expected to control the actual volume with some other volume knob,
> say on your external amplifier.  This is problematic for those who
> aren't using an external amplifier, but that isn't PA's target
> audience.

I don't know why you think that.  Pulseaudio is supposed to let you
control the volume of each application individually.  That's volume
control, not volume off/on.  And the same technique, mixing, doesn't
matter whether it's for feeding audio to an external amplifier, or built
in.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686