Re: F11: Skype and audio, again

On Sat, 2009-08-01 at 10:48 -0500, Brian Millett wrote:
> I use
>
> padsp skype
>
> which disables pulseaudio just for skype.

Has that changed since Fedora 9?  9's man file says something different,
that it provides an OSS interface to pulseaudio for that program:

DESCRIPTION
       padsp starts the specified program and redirects its access to
       OSS compatible audio devices (/dev/dsp and auxiliary devices)
       to a PulseAudio sound server.

i.e. You're still using pulseaudio, but it's masked behind a layer that
makes it seem like OSS, for those programs that want OSS.

That may be enough for people who want to use software that doesn't know
to use pulseaudio, but still be a problem for people who're not having
any luck getting pulseaudio to work.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686