RE: Missing smbmount

> From: ragnarw@xxxxx
> To: fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx
> Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2009 09:37:56 +0000
> Subject: Missing smbmount
>
> Hi there.
> I'm running a Fedora 10 system with Samba 3.2.4-0.22.fc10 and I noticed that
> smbmount, smbumount and smbmnt are missing. No man files either. Are there
> new utilities or is this a fault in the installation packages?
>
> Looking forward to hear from you guys.

The release versions of the kernel do not configure in smb, even though you could download the source kernel and configure smb FS, and then you would have  to install the smb package.

So instead of smb, you have cifs which is what is commonly used now to mount directories that are shared by windows or other samba servers.

mount -t cifs //ipaddress/shareName /mountPoint

It will prompt you for a password. If your windows server is indeed expecting a password, you will need to supply it. On my winXP Pro machines,
there is no per user authentication required (yeah... very secure!!!), so
when I am prompter for a password, I just press return. The share is mounted read/write.

Good luck.