Re: Damaged xterm in Fedora 10

On Sun, 2009-02-22 at 16:46 -0700, Reg Clemens wrote:
> > Reg Clemens wrote:
> > > This has to be a well known problem, since it has occurred in both fc9 and
> > > fc10.
> > > When using XTERMS under the TWM window manager in fc9 and fc10 there is
> > > garbage in the window, but my searches with GOOGLE have not turned up anything.
> > >
> > > If one opens one window, fine.
> > > If one opens a second window that overlaps the first window fine.
> > > But when one MOVES the top window, it takes with it blue and yellow lines from
> > > where the edges of the underlying window were.
> > >
> > > Now a 'clear' will clean up most of these lines,- at least the lines in the
> > > interior of the window, but it leaves the marks on the edges.
> > > This should not be necessary.
> > >
> > > So, this appears to be more of an X11 problem than an actual Fedora problem,
> > > any idea when its going to be fixed?
> > > Or are there fixes out there (somewhere)?
> > >
> > > And yes, twm is an OLD window manager, but its light weight and works fine for
> > > my applications.
> > >

> > Have you placed a bugzilla against twm,
> > it's the best way to get the attention of the developers\maintaniers.
> >
> Well, I tried.
> But first the bugzilla is at RedHat, which I find suspect.
> And Second, I was bumped from one WEB window to another, in circles, but
> never got to a place where I could actually POST a bug report.
> After a while I just gave up, and posted the problem here.
>
> Hopefully SOMEONE who can fix the problem reads this list.
----
The redhat bugzilla http://bugzilla.redhat.com is indeed the correct
place. It's quirky to be sure but it does work. I think the thing that
derails most people when trying to report bugs is the point where it
attempts to search for existing bugs before you create a new bug report.

I search all possible reports first and then skip the part where
bugzilla would check for duplicates.

In your case, I selected search, and within search, I chose...

Classification => Fedora
Product => Fedora
Component => xterm
A Comment => screen draw
Status => All of them

and clicked search and got only two reports, neither which would appear
similar to your problem so you could probably just go ahead and skip
duplicate check part.

If you don't report it on bugzilla, you can't reasonably expect that
someone will fix the problem.

Craig