Re: KDE 4.2 requires local MySQL Server

Andreas M. Kirchwitz wrote:
> In Fedora 10, akonadi cannot be un-installed without removing KDE.
> And KDE cannot be updated to version 4.2 without updating akonadi
> as well. In the end, KDE 4.2 requires MySQL (server) to be installed.

And where's the problem? It doesn't use much disk space and you don't have
to configure anything, you only need the executable. (And the systemwide
service, which Akonadi does not need, is disabled by default in the
mysql-server package anyway, as it ought to be.) Why is it a problem that
you need an executable which happens to be called mysqld? How's that worse
than, say, kded4 or to take a GNOME example, gnome-settings-daemon or
gnome-keyring-daemon? It's just a daemon which happens to be a database.

> And by default, akonadi uses a local MySQL instance. That's weird for a
> desktop workstation, and it's the wrong way to use a database like MySQL.

What alternative do you suggest? You surely can't expect all users to
configure their own database server! Starting up a local, automatically
configured, per-user instance is the only possible default which just
works. You can set it up to use a central server if you don't want a local
one.

> However, I accept the fact that KDE 4.2 now depends on MySQL, and
> installing a different Linux distribution after all these years
> won't help because sooner or later all other Linux distributions
> will have the same dependencies which come from akonadi (and
> without akonadi, you cannot install KDE). So, until GNOME people
> start their local MySQL instances as well, the only option is to
> remove KDE from the system.

No, your other option is to just accept that MySQL is required. I don't see
where the problem is.

        Kevin Kofler