Re: KDE 4.2 requires local MySQL Server

Andreas M. Kirchwitz wrote:

> most people with automatic updates might not have noticed, but if
> you look closer, the recent bunch of updates, including KDE 4.2,
> installs the MySQL server on the machine (and some other database
> related stuff which MySQL depends on).
>
> It's the "akonadi" package that requires a MySQL server to run.
> Google shows that there's been a long discussion about this issue
> some months ago. Unfortunately, akonadi cannot be uninstalled,
> because that will break a lot of KDE dependencies.
>
> Is there an easy way around it? An end-user desktop environment
> requires a full-blown local database to be setup and run. Wow, I
> didn't know that so many users are professional database admins
> and know what to do. No KDE without MySQL.
>
> For now, the KDE 4.2 stuff can be ignored:
>
>  yum update -x akonadi -x 'kde*' -x 'PyKDE*' -x ksysguardd -x oxygen-icon-theme
>
> Of couse, KDE updates cannot be ignored forever ...
>
> Is this MySQL dependency by intention? Couldn't find anything
> helpful on this or on the devel mailing list, although this is
> a big issue, IMHO.

FWIW, I did notice a screen pop up during the most recent update...but
it was hidden behind a terminal window.  I was going to go back and try
to figure out was it was all about....but subsequently forgot about it.
Your post did enlighten me as to what happened as I now recall seeing
"akonadi" at some point.

But, I have been using the latest version of KDE for the past several
days...and I haven't been bothered or presented with the need to know
anything about MySQL.  I only now notice there is an instance of MySQL
running not taking up much resources.  I'm not sure it would have come
to my attention if you hadn't written your post.

Took a quick look at http://pim.kde.org/akonadi/ and on the surface
seems like a reasonable direction/idea.  So, not quite sure as to why
you may consider this to be a big issue.

--
... Had this been an actual emergency, we would have fled in terror, and
you would not have been informed. Mei-Mei.Greshko@xxxxxxxxxxx