Re: KDE 4.2 requires local MySQL Server

Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 > Took a quick look at http://pim.kde.org/akonadi/ and on the surface
 > seems like a reasonable direction/idea.  So, not quite sure as to why
 > you may consider this to be a big issue.

If every applications starts its own copy of mysql, then this is
indeed a big issue because that doesn't scale well. There are,
for example, GDBM, Berkeley DB and SQLite. I've read the reason
why akonadi people don't use SQLite, but that's an old dispute
in akonadi development, so it doesn't convince me and sounds more
like some old prejudice.

SQLite is used by a lot of applications for fast and concurrent
access to data. What makes akonadi so different to all these
applications? And if SQLite has problems, why not try to fix it?
The SQLite team is very actively developing their software.

One single MySQL instance as central storage for all applications
that cannot use SQLite & Co. for some reason -- well, that might
be the future of Unix desktop environments. Sure, why not. But a
local copy of MySQL for every single application that needs to
store some bits of data -- that's no good design.

However, I now understand that the decision has been made for KDE 4.2
by intention, and it's not a Fedora issue, but all Unix distributions
that ship KDE 4.2 will require a MySQL server installation. The only
way to avoid this is to remove all KDE stuff. Well, until somebody
of the GNOME folks comes up with the same idea ...

I should be happy that there's no dependency on Oracle, otherwise
I had to buy a more powerful workstation. ;-)

	Thanks for all the answers to my questions ... Andreas