Re: KDE 4.2 requires local MySQL Server

Martín Marqués wrote:
> 2009/2/16 Mark Haney <mhaney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> Martín Marqués wrote:
>>> Not becuase of that. Because it's starting to use resources which are
>>> totally unnecesary. It's starting to look like the Linux Vista: Nice,
>>> but useless.
>>>
>> What part of KDE requires MySQL server?  None that I am aware of. But
>> then I build my own from source and not rely on these asinine package
>> dependencies from binary packages.  There are NO KDE components that
>> /require/ MySQL.  You can' specify database support, but it's not required.
>
> Please, enlight me. How can akonadi work without a mysql instance?
>
> http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/PIM/Akonadi#Which_DBMS_does_Akonadi_use.3F
>
> BTW, is there a way to disable akonadi and still work with KDE destop?

Of course. I don't run akonadi server at all.  And it works just fine.
As for all the comments about KDE being 'Vista' I'd like to point out
that GNOME uses Beagle (if I recall) which is very similar to Akonadi.
GNOME's latest releases suck so bad I will never go back.  KDE 4.2 is
the best version of KDE4 and is simply amazing.

quadraturae circuli

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support