Re: KDE 4.2 requires local MySQL Server

Andreas M. Kirchwitz wrote:
> Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>  > Took a quick look at http://pim.kde.org/akonadi/ and on the surface
>  > seems like a reasonable direction/idea.  So, not quite sure as to why
>  > you may consider this to be a big issue.
>
> If every applications starts its own copy of mysql, then this is
> indeed a big issue because that doesn't scale well. There are,
> for example, GDBM, Berkeley DB and SQLite. I've read the reason
> why akonadi people don't use SQLite, but that's an old dispute
> in akonadi development, so it doesn't convince me and sounds more
> like some old prejudice.
>
> SQLite is used by a lot of applications for fast and concurrent
> access to data. What makes akonadi so different to all these
> applications? And if SQLite has problems, why not try to fix it?
> The SQLite team is very actively developing their software.
>
> One single MySQL instance as central storage for all applications
> that cannot use SQLite & Co. for some reason -- well, that might
> be the future of Unix desktop environments. Sure, why not. But a
> local copy of MySQL for every single application that needs to
> store some bits of data -- that's no good design.
>
> However, I now understand that the decision has been made for KDE 4.2
> by intention, and it's not a Fedora issue, but all Unix distributions
> that ship KDE 4.2 will require a MySQL server installation. The only
> way to avoid this is to remove all KDE stuff. Well, until somebody
> of the GNOME folks comes up with the same idea ...
>
> I should be happy that there's no dependency on Oracle, otherwise
> I had to buy a more powerful workstation. ;-)
>
> 	Thanks for all the answers to my questions ... Andreas

When I have more time I will look at it...  However, I doubt that each
application will spawn a new instance of mysql since that would
certainly defeat the purpose of a centralized database.  Looking at what
little documentation I have...I am confident that it is one instance of
mysql per user.

--
Congratulations! You are the one-millionth user to log into our system.
If there's anything special we can do for you, anything at all, don't