Re: ATT's DSL Lite for Linux

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 08:47:08PM +1030, Tim wrote:
> My access point is supposed to have an auto scanning feature to pick the
> best free channel.  It doesn't, it picks the worst...

Frankly, I don't like any of the DSL modem/firewall/wireless units.
Remember the old Unix mantra--do one thing, do it well.

Get the simplest DSL modem they offer.  Put it in bridge mode.  If it's
PPPoE, you may want to just let the modem handle that, but it's your
call.

Use a firewall--you can set up IPTABLES in your Linux box, but it's always
better to have defense-in-depth; you should use a hardware firewall,
and if you're really concerned also enable IPTABLES.  I'd suggest
getting a supported router (see the web page) and loading Tomato
(http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato).

Get a really good WAP--I'm very, very happy with the Versa Technology
AP400 Pro. (http://www.versatek.com).

Yes, this will all cost you a bit more than the "free" box from your
ISP.  But you'll save yourself so much time and hassle and have a much
better network.

Cheers,
--
	Dave Ihnat