Re: ATT's DSL Lite for Linux

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 8:41 PM, g <geleem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>
>> The problem was not entering setup - it was that they did not supply
>> the account user name/password with the home installation kit. The
>> Windows program was what gave you that information. It is kind of
>> hard to set up PPPoE without that information.
>
> how could name/password be supplied on cd for a user when it is not known
> when cd is burned? and i would hope that who ever burned cd would not know
> my name/password, which are what i gave when i signed up by calling in on
> voice line.
>
> already having a 2wire homeportal, i was told to use ppoe, vpi=0, and vci=35.
>
> or am i not following what you are trying to explain?
>
> and no, i am not trying to be a 'was', i am trying to understand what is
> advantage of having to use a cd just to setup a dsl modem under linux or ms.

In my case is I received a "Home Setup Kit" from AT&T/Bellsouth where
you get to do it all yourself. The box for the DSL modem did not have
any user specific stuff in it but we also got some paperwork (I can't
remember now if it came with the DSL box or mailed separately) that
had my username (i.e. email address @bellsouth.net) and a generated
password. That was enough to get online so I could get to the admin
site and change the password. Then I connected to the DSL box updated
the password, reset it to make sure it took and the put it in bridged
mode and never looked back.

Richard