Re: Network Manager, Firefox and more on FC10

Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 6:27 AM, Mark Haney <mhaney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Tom Horsley wrote:

>>> It isn't merely reinventing the wheel, it is replacing the wheel with
>>> some utterly incompatible object that sometimes serves a wheel-like
>>> function while not actually working with anything that previously
>>> used wheels without extensive mods to all the former users of wheels.
>>> And, while, they were at it, they also provide absolutely no
>>> documentation about how to use the new wheel-like functionality
>>> then claim anyone who can't get it to work is just a whiner.
>>>
>> No kidding.  Let me give just one more example. I installed F10 on
>> another laptop (mine).  It's a Compaq Dual core AMD X2 with 8GB RAM.  A
>> fresh install.  I booted into it after the install (and setting up my
>> network info (wired).  Logged in as myself.
>

> If you believe that this is something common, you really have no
> respect for the Fedora developers. I've installed Fedora 9/10 on
> several different machines now, and I have never needed to do more
> than plug in an ethernet cable to get wired working.

I do have respect for the developers.  And yes it seems to be something
common when I have 5 systems have the problem.  All different hardware,
laptops, desktops, servers.  And I have never had trouble with wired
networking either until F10.  I've been a linux geek for 13 or 14 years
now (Slackware 3 anyone?) and I've never seen anything like this before.
I do not think this is a problem caused by the Fedora guys. I've been
nothing but the biggest fan of RH/Fedora my entire career. It started
out that way because they were local (I live in NC.) but I realized they
do damn good work.  This is just a silly implementation change that
didn't need to be made.  IMO.  Initiating an interface on log in?  Why?
 I still have yet to see any reasonable explanation. Not that I expect
to get one.

> So please have more respect for the Fedora developers and
> NetworkManager developers on this public forum. These guys have
> provided me with too much good software for me to standby have people
> needlessly disrespect their work.

I have plenty of respect for ALL developers.  As I said above the Fedora
group do damn good work.  And, I believe the /intent/ to make a good all
around networking implementation is there in the NM devs.  I just think
it's a silly way to do it.  That's not disrespect, that's just a
disagreement.  Please, take your moral high ground elsewhere.  I am not
a sheep just waiting for the devs to spoon feed me with whatever they
want.  If I don't like something, I'm vocal about it.  I do file bug
reports, as many as I can feasibly handle.  The rest I deal with until
it's fixed or I find a different way of doing it.  That's the beauty of
open source.

quadraturae circuli

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support