Re: How do I allow regular user access to ttyUSB0 ?

On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 10:23 AM, Linuxguy123 <linuxguy123@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have a USB serial port that I use with my laptop.  Its a PL2303
> device.   Linux recognizes it correctly and assigns it to device
> ttyUSB0.
>
> I am having a problem whereby I can use ttyUSB0 as root but not as a
> regular user.  I need to allow regular user access to ttyUSB0.  How do I
> do this ?
Try this:

In the F10 Gnome desktop
System Menu->System->Authorizations

In the Authorizations gui tree select

org->freedesktop->hal->device access->serial modems

Change the authorizations to whatever you like. You can open to all
users you can open to just the active console user, you can select
users.  For the sake of testing open it up to anyone without needing
authentication. Once that is modified try plugging in the usb serial
device and seeing if access works for your user.

-jef