Re: Network changing from eth0 to eth1

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

> The 70-persistent-net.rules file will take care of that. It keeps
> tract of the MAC addresses, and assures that the same device name is
> always assigned to that MAC address. What I have found with HWADDR
> is that the interface will not come up if the MAC address is wrong,
> but it can not guaranty that the NICs will be assigned the correct
> device.
>
> It does make changing a NIC a bit more work - you end up with 2
> places you have to change the MAC address. (I don't know if the
> network config GUI will change the entry in 70-persistent-net.rules...)

FWIW, I just discovered how useful can be a manually modified
70-persistent-net.rules file.

You can map MAC addresses to interface names and completely remove
the HWADDR from ifcfg-eth? files.

In my case this is perfect because I want to have *two* different
NICs as eth0 (not at the same time, obviously), two NICs as eth1,
two NICs as eth2.

I didn't think it could be so easy to have a configuration with
3 NICs (it's a firewall machine) and have the ability, in case of
a hardware problem, to just remove the disk from the failed machine,
put it into a backup machine and have the new 3 NICs automatically
assigned to the correct interface names so everything works with
no reconfiguration.

Best regards.
   Roberto Ragusa    mail at robertoragusa.it