Re: Network changing from eth0 to eth1

On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 1:09 PM, Mikkel L. Ellertson
<mikkel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Nat Gross wrote:
>> Thanks for this post, it helped me a bit, but I still have nameserver problem.
>> Yesterday my [only]nic in a 32 bit fc8 box blew. When I replaced it,
>> it insisted to be eth1 and gave me eth0 errors when booting. I did an
>> ifconfig 192.168.... and had eth1 up and running.
>> No sweat, I thought. But although nfs clients were able to access
>> their nfs mounts, firefox can't lookup a dns entry. Also, since this
>> box is running squid, clients of squid can't access websites. The
>> /etc/resolv.conf is ok.
>> Also my firestarter firewall refused to start (obviously set up on eth0).
>> So, my goal this morning was to get it back to eth0 only, and not
>> worry about who-knows-what might have a problem with the subtle eth1
>> switch. I was happy to find your post, when goggling my gmail.
>> I deleted the /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules file and do
>> not have any ifcfg-eth* files.
>> The good news is that now it sees it as eth0. But I still have to do
>> the ifconfig manually at boot and more importantly firefox cant
>> resolve a dns, although /etc/resolve.conf is ok.
>>
> If you are looking in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts for ifcfg-eth0,
> and not finding it, they you are probably using NetworkManager to
> manage the interface. You may have to configure it again. (If you
> looked in the wrong place, make sure ifcfg-eth0 has "ONBOOT=yes".)
>
> Mikkel
> --
I don't have any file that begins with ifcfg in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts.
I took another look at the "services" gui and am not running
NetworkManager and I am running 'network'. And now I notice that in
the "status" area it sais (when network is highlighted):
ls: cannot access ifcfg*. No such file or directory.
Configured devices:
lo
Currently active devices:
lo eth0