Re: Network changing from eth0 to eth1

Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>> With /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules, you are probably not
>> going to run into it if you do not use HWADDR in ifcfg-eth? On the
>> other hand, I do tend to use something like the first example I gave
>> - you don't need to, but it can prevent surprises.
>>
> There are valid arguments both ways, as long as you have only one NIC.
> After that you really want to have them called by the same names.  ;-)

The 70-persistent-net.rules file will take care of that. It keeps
tract of the MAC addresses, and assures that the same device name is
always assigned to that MAC address. What I have found with HWADDR
is that the interface will not come up if the MAC address is wrong,
but it can not guaranty that the NICs will be assigned the correct
device.

It does make changing a NIC a bit more work - you end up with 2
places you have to change the MAC address. (I don't know if the
network config GUI will change the entry in 70-persistent-net.rules...)

Mikkel